There are certain times in my life when I feel like a total noob (erm what am I saying, there are a lot of times when I feel like this). In the world of anime people are probably surprised to learn how many different genres there are within that fantastic medium. And this inspires a lot of anime bloggers out there to create some awesome tags. Take the wonderful Cactus Matt from Anime Q and A for instance. He created the “Build a Harem” tag. Now what the heck is that I can hear you ask. Erm…yes…erm…that was my question as well. And it got worse when I also got nominated for it by Lina, Merlin and Arthifis. Really? I smell a conspiracy here. And just after I published this, I found out that I had been nominated 40 minutes earlier by The Otaku Judge as well so yeah conspiracy 🙂 But I truly thank you guys and girl, for nominating me (erm…I think). I have to my knowledge never seen an Harem anime, so I really had to do some research to find out what this all meant.
It turns out to be rather straightforward actually. A central character is surrounded by three or more male or female characters that are usually romantically attracted to that character (really why doesn’t something like that happen in real life? Ahem…moving on). With that out of the way, now I had to do some research on the type of characters that are featured in these (wow, this almost feels like homework now lol). But I guess, I figured it out…well…at least I think I have (Naw…You are just seeing things, I’m totally not sweating here). So….as always: here are the:
- Link back to the original post on Anime Q and A so they can check out everyone’s picks!
- Use the ‘Build A Harem’ logo somewhere in the post.
- Make sure to mention the person who nominated you too!
- Pick 5 Anime Characters (any show & any gender) that would be in your ideal harem if you were the main character of a harem anime, explain a little bit as to why they are your picks (if you want).
- Make sure each character you pick falls into some of the following harem character types: Childhood friend, tom boy/girl, genki girl/boy, loli/shota, trap, tsundere, yandere, kuudere, dandere, etc. (If there’s a character you’ve picked that doesn’t specifically fall into one of these types or falls into multiple types that’s fine too!)
- Nominate 5 people to participate in this tag!
1. The childhood friend-Naho Takamiya from Orange
So many people hated this character. Mainly because of the fact that she seemed to really make stupid choices or what seemed very odd reactions to the guy she was in love with. I didn’t hate her at all though. In fact I could totally relate to her, because she was the female version of me. When I am in love I tend to do stupid things, and totally freeze up when I get to talk to the girl I love (or in other words I am always afraid to let my true feelings out). So yeah…childhood friend for sure, as I think we would get along very well.
2. The Tomboy Girl-Motoki Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell
Hmm, this was a tough one. And the Major (still my alltime favorite anime character, and she probably will be right up until I die) might even seem an odd choice for this category. When you look up the definition of a tomboy on Google (and Lina did this research as well, she is always very determined), there are so many definitions for that exact word. Still I think Motoko Kusanagi could definitely fill this slot. The way she acts, and the things she does more than qualify as masculine, even though she is still a hot as hell woman. So…yeah…I’m sticking with the Major for this one.
3. The Tsundure-Asuna Yuuki from Sword Art Online
This one I really had to look up, as I had never heard of this word. Tsundure is apparently a character who is initially very cold, or hostile towards someone, until eventually warming up. For this I had only one choice: Asuna. When she first met Kirito, I think she redefined the word cold. And we all know of course how that eventually ended. I would truly dread meeting her when she was first like this, and would probably either run away, or try to grovel before her. (Probably the last, because really…just look at her). So for that last reason alone…she just had to be in my harem.
4. The Kuudure-Touka Kirishima from Tokyo Ghoul
So…ofcourse I totally knew what this one meant. You believe me right? Erm….not that convincing am I? Okay I guess you all knew it but apparently this is a character that seems very cold and indifferent, but actually is very caring. Having watched the first two seasons of Tokyo Ghoul (wait…what? You did that? Why on Earth did you not review it Raistlin??!!!), I can only think of Touka for this one. I instantly fell in love with her when she first shows up. I loved her cool demeanor, total badassery, but also the depth she had. She just had to be added….obviously.
5. The Yandere-Lum from Urusei Yatsura
Aww….last one already?? Yup…and I decided to go with the Yandere type. I got you covered: it’s a character that is totally romantically obsessed by someone to the point of using violent means to get them in their arms. And that is Lum all over. This tigerstriped bikini clad beauty is probably not known by many of you as she is featured in an anime series that ran in the 80’s. She looks gorgeous doesn’t she? Don’t let this alien princess fool you though…she will use any means necessary to get her darling (that is what she calls the poor boy that is the object of her affection), even using electrocution. Oh well…I would not mind being chased by her…not at all….
Honestly this tag has gotten so big, that I have kind of lost track who has already been tagged, so if you already got nominated for this one, feel free to ignore it. And if you haven’t and don’t want to do this one, I totally understand as well. My nominees are….
1. Shokamoka (Well I know that you have already been nominated, but I just want to let you know in this way that I miss seeing you here)
2. Flowangelic (Yup, this just had to be done)
3.Lynlynsays (Seeing as you recently featured a post on a reverse harem and I simply love your blog)
4. Cain.S.Latrani (Well…do I really need to explain? I just think you are awesome, and I know for a fact that you would probably make a seriously funny post for this one)
5. Pete Davison (Because I think this tag has you written all over it, and your blog is incredible and more people need to discover it)
Have fun with it! And as I said no pressure at all to this. Now I leave you all with the Major….because, really…why not?